Monday, June 18, 2012

[Week 1] Day 1 "Who Am I"

What is man that you are mindful of him, the son of man that you care for him? (Pslam 8:4)



In school as well as in life we all have been given some sort of name such as "freak" or "jock" which may identify you in some way.  Take a moment to think about what others may call you, or what you yourself may call you.  I know that I was called geek, nerd, music dude, and I was give the nickname Brain off the show Pinky and the Brain by some in the youth group way back. These titles help answer the question "Who am I?" According to social scientists and psychologists, your answer to that question is the foundation of who you are.  They say that your answer reveals whether or not you trust who you are.  However, that is not the most important answer in your life.  The most important question you will ever answer is Jesus' question, "Who do you say I am?"  By answering this question we come so much closer to finding how the question about our own identity, especially that identity which is the primary focus of this blog of our Identity in Christ

However, before we get into that I want to take a moment to tell you how the world that we liven views the question of identity
  1. One thing that identifies us in the world view is our fingerprints and DNA.  These prints are unique specifically to you , and no finger prints are alike, unless you have a twin somewhere.  To the world our finger prints tell who we are physically
  2. Second, our social enviorment also has an influence on our identity this is what we will call parentprints. Our parents are the ones that give us our value system what we can tell from right or wrong, a sense of worth, and they mold our behavior.
  3. Lifeprints are the third way the world views our identity.  These are the influences that model who you are by your choices and the vents that happen to and around you.  Such as a decision to steal or not, to go to a college or have a career, what job to take, and lastly whether or not to marry.  You care these prints  as you make choices.
If I were doing just a regular blog about identity I would stop there about what it means to have an identity but this is a blog for the spiritual needs of others, for the three points above are what the world views identity as.  For a Christian the last source of how we view identity is through Godprints.  This is how God influences is us and it is the most important part of our identity.  Through the rest of this blog about my identity we will take a look at these Godprints.

No comments:

Post a Comment